Ditch the pasta and go green with these beet raviolis stuffed with cashew nut “cheese.” This is one of those raw recipes that doesn’t so much mimic the traditional version as it does take inspiration from it.
Yields 4 servings
Cashew Nut “Cheese” Filling
- 3 cups cashew nuts, soaked for 4-6 hours, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 Tbsp minced tarragon
- 2 Tbsp minced parsley
- microgreens, for garnish (optional)
- 1 large bunch of red beets, yellow beets or candy-striped beets, sliced thinly
- 3 Tbsp macadamia or other nut oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- Place nuts, lemon juice and zest, yeast and salt into a food processor and blend till smooth.
- Transfer filling to a bowl and fold in onions, tarragon and parsley. Season with more salt and lemon juice as needed. The consistency you’re looking for is similar to ricotta. When filling has reached room temperature, begin assembly.
- Slice beats using a mandolin, make stacks and cut into squares.
- Toss beet squares with nut oil, lemon juice and sea salt.
- Lay half the beets flat on a plate. Place a dollop of filling on top of each, then add another slice to make unsealed raviolis.
- Top raviolis with your favorite chopped nut and more coarse sea salt, and garnish with microgreens.
Original recipe from Raw Food Real World Cookbook